Where are the nine?


Thank you for the re-telling, re-emphasizing of this great lesson, “re-Minding” me of the necessity of keeping a gratitude-appreciation journal, and keeping it up-to-date, listing, contemplating, appreciating the significance of every blessing I have ever received throughout my life.

Bible Lesson 18 – “There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.” The ungratefulness-to-gratefulness ratio here is 9:1, making “1” a stranger indeed.

Reading this story allegorically: have I given 100% thanks – in thought and deed – for all that God has done for me, or have I only given 10% of my “thanksgiving quotient” to God, expending the other 90% of my gratitude-mindfulness energy in taking blessings for granted, or mulling over some lack in my life that still needs divine assistance, mentally trying to steady the ark when I should be giving thanks in everything – this very moment? (1 Thess. 5:18)

The original meaning of praise is “the just price,” and an important component of praise is repaying God with gratitude in extended seasons of deep, thoughtful, whole-not-half-hearted thanksgiving for every moment, and for all the wonderful things that have happened, are happening, and will happen in my life and, self-forgetfully, in the lives of others.

Everyone except Jesus saw the 5 loaves and 2 fishes as an absurdly microscopic meal for 5000+ people, but where they saw lack, he gave 100% thanks for what they had at hand, and the food multiplied, blessing everyone around him – with so much more to spare! – proving the metaphysical principle that counting one’s blessings in the service of others is a law of increase and multiplication of more those same blessings.

Print this page

Share via email